Four big education campaign events in NovemberPosted: October 27, 2015
November is a busy month for everyone interested in building resistance to the massively damaging education policies of this government. It sees four events, all of which will in different ways provide the opportunity to debate the current state of education and options for the future.
Where events can be booked in advance, please do reserve your place – if only to calm the nerves of the event organisers!
These events are:
1. SEA Members meeting at 2.00 pm on Saturday 7th November in room BO3, 43 Gordon Square, WC1H OPD. All SEA members are welcome. Among the topics for debate will be
• school admissions and how schools manipulate them with Richy Thompson of the British Humanist Association
• the Education Bill currently before Parliament which is designed to greatly increase the number of schools forced to become academies
• current proposals for so called extensions to Grammar School.
No booking needed – just come along.
2. The Caroline Benn Memorial Lecture to be given by Professor Susan Robertson of Bristol University. This year’s lecture will have an international perspective. It will look at why it is that education is not making the contribution that we would hope for towards more equal and democratic societies worldwide.
It will take place in Committee Room 14 at the House of Commons at 6.00 pm on Tuesday 10th November. It’s a free event but, if you haven’t already, please book a place by e mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Reclaiming Education’s Annual Conference on Saturday 14th November at the NUT building, Hamilton House Mabledon Place, London WC1H 9BD beginning at 10.30. Richard Wilkinson, joint author of the acclaimed book “The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone” will introduce the conference’s key theme – how inequality undermines education. He will be followed by speakers and debate on all aspects of the current education scene including early years, inclusion, schools, further education and local authorities.
Online booking is now available at http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/181569. Tickets cost £27.50 (£30.00 on the door).
Reclaiming Education is an alliance of education campaigns in which SEA plays an active part.
You can find out more about Reclaiming Education and the conference at http://www.reclaimingeducation.org.uk/
4. Comprehensive Future’s annual conference and AGM is on Saturday 21st November. It’s at the Abbey Community Centre, 34 Great Smith Street, SW1P 3BU and costs £10 including lunch.
The aim of this conference is to bring together those across the country who share concerns about selection at 11 and the growing problem of unfair school admissions and want to do something about it. In the light of the decision on the Kent Grammar School extension. this issue is more important than ever.
Book on line at https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/185434